5 “Healthy” Foods You Should Avoid
Diets, fads, cleanses…are you confused? Here is a simple list of 5 foods that have been advertised as healthy, but are actually not all they are cracked up to be.
- Agave Syrup: has 80% concentration of frutose than high frutose corn syrup! Frutose, or alcohol, is the first thing your liver digest, so it goes straight to your liver. This means your liver is not in it’s fat burning mode and this promotes visceral (belly) fat. Try coconut palm sugar or Sweet Leaf Stevia.
- Almond Milk: A lot of store bought versions have processed carrogeenancan. Which can disrupt the GI tract. Look at the ingredients to make sure you know what you are drinking, or better yet, make your own!
- Gatorade: Uses BVO (brominaded vegetable oil), which is also banned in other countries. It is used because it acts an emulsifier, preventing the flavoring from separating and floating to the surface. BVO’s main ingredient, bromine, is a poisonous chemical that is toxic and corrosive. BVO has been linked to thyroid issues, autoimmune disease, organ system damage, and more. Gatorade is a blend of chemicals and sugars. To stay hydrated, or replace electrolytes, during and after longer bouts of physical activity, coconut water, such as Harmless Harvest, is great.
- Whole Wheat Bread: For example, Subway’s 9-grain bread has a dough conditioner, azodicarbonamide, in it that is banned in Europe, Australia and many other countries. It has been connected to causing respiratory problems and can cause allergies. A much better option is Ezekeil bread. It has no flour, just whole grain. Which is the way our body is meant to digest grains.
- Frozen Yogurt: while looking for a “healthier” alternative to ice cream, it usually is not. Unfortunately, frozen yogurt is filled with a bunch of yucky chemicals and sugars. If you really want a healthier option to ice cream, make your own with frozen fruits & high-quality protein powder such as Juice Plus Complete.